Wednesday, November 13, 2013

One, two - WHOOP, WHOOP!

I'm free! The frame is off!

I won't go through the pre-op stuff, because it was pretty similar to the first time around. Again, don't remember being rendered unconscious. One moment I was telling somebody that I felt like I had been smoking something, the next, I was a bit more than half-asleep and throwing up into a hospital vomit bag. If I ever have to have morphine again, it'll be too soon.

Leg felt a lot lighter already, and I remember crying the instant I realised that the surgery was over. Kept repeating, "It's off, it's finally off..." to the nurses looking after me.

Cast! Hospital band still on, but about two minutes after getting home.
Was just a day admission, my surgery started about 11am, done before midday and I was checked out around 4pm the same day. Albeit still feeling slightly nauseated, drowsy and light headed from my body telling me it was hungry but having no appetite whatsoever. Got home and crashed hard, woke up around 10pm that night feeling almost back to normal.

So my cast is on for two weeks, it was either that or six weeks - it depended if we wanted to pay $150-something for an off-the-shelf moon boot or $750-something for a custom made moon boot that would be much more rigid. They aren't really covered by health care though. All this stuff was starting to drive me crazy though, and I had heard plenty of experiences of what having a cast was like so we went with the more expensive custom-made option. Two weeks is still too long, I actually liked having the frame on more than I like this damned plaster thing. Itchy and claustrophobic. Only two more days until it's off though. Still proud of the fact I've yet to get an infection. Let's keep fingers and toes crossed I make it out of everything as one of the few 100% infection-free TSF/Ilizarov patients! ^_^

But hey! I can cross my legs again.

No comments: