Saturday, March 30, 2013

Aaaaaaand we're done!

We've stopped stretching! Whooo!

There have been two check-ups since the last entry, but nothing much to report. Everything has been going pretty much to plan with not a heap of change other than the space between bone fragments.
My fourth process x-ray, approx. 3.5 stretch.

Since we've stopped stretching, the pain has definitely settled down, which is great! I get a bit of pain at the outer top wire - the most annoying of the wires because like I've explained before, it's lodged in the muscle group that is most involved with general leg movement. Cleaning is still painful, but a lot less than it had been previously. Before I would take two Panadols before my shower and then an Endone after cleaning, but now I only take the Panadol.

The four smaller wires are able to be removed now, there are two options: to have them cut and pulled out in Dr Astori's office with just a couple of Endone and Panadol or to go back into surgery and be completely under while they are removed.

After having agreed with my Mum over what a baby I am when it comes to pain, we both prefer if I was put under anesthetic for the process lest we scare Dr Astori's other patients off with my cries of pain (the walls in his office are pretty thin). My parents are going overseas soon for about four weeks, and they want me to wait until they back due to lack of fundage. The plus of getting them removed in his office is that it wouldn't cost any extra, but...yeah. Pain. I'm being a baby, I know. My next appointment isn't for another month, so I have that time to change my mind/talk myself into having momentary courage. We'll see.

So right now the only thing I'm having to do is to stretch my calf muscle out. Because while the bone
Post-stretch! 4cm length attained!
fragments have been stretched into the correct position - my calf muscle hasn't quite caught up yet. This means my foot drops down a bit and I have limited range of motion in my foot.

My goal for my next appointment is to be beginning to put more weight on my leg and only rely on one of my crutches rather than the both of them. I'm not too sure what else to write, there really hasn't been a whole heap going on, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Oh, and happy Easter! Enjoy your guilt-free chocolate eating today. ^_^

No comments: